Is there a way to have the pump relay turn on only for specific zones

I have a pump that dispenses a rust inhibitor. I don’t need the pump on for all zones. How do I turn set the pump to only turn on for specific zones. I have this setup in the Hunter controller I just replaced.

1 Like

@vinayg We currently do not support this feature, here is a thread on the topic, thanks!

http://community.rachio.com/t/well-pump-delay-support/199

This referenced thread is different than what vinayg was asking for. The units need a pump inhibit option for each zone. And is not a new feature request.

@Scotcro, just to clarify, you’d like to be able to setup a pump delay on some zones and not for others? If so, would pump and no pump zones need to be ran on the same schedule? Or different schedules?

Thanks, Emil

2 Likes

@Emil. As I initially mentioned, I have a pump connected to a rust inhibiting solution. This chemical only need to be pumped to zones that over spray water on concrete or against my house. i.e I’d like to be able to select the zones where the relay/pump is on on the same schedule.

e,g. for schedule 1
zone 1 - relay on
zone 2 - relay off
zone 3 - relay off
zone 4 - relay on
zone 5 relay on

As an exanple you can look at page 21 on http://www.hunterindustries.com/sites/default/files/OM_PROCC_dom.pdf

1 Like

I also have the same set up as vinayg. I have a rust inhibitor set up currently controlled by the pump relay in my old controller. I need to be able to turn on the pump relay only for specific zones (and I also need the delay mentioned in the other thread)

@emil , Help me understand how you are “listening” to users, but have failed to implement this simple firmware enhancement that has been requested multiple times? I’m sorry but I need to be convinced you are in fact “listening”

I think you just unloaded on another customer, not a Rachio employee. Did you mean Emil?

Yup! Apologies @vinayg!

Did you see the flex option came back? They are listening. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and there were far more ppl asking for flex to come back.

There were also far more ppl asking for something easier than flex.

They also listened to the users and added the ability to add/remove zones from the fixed schedules.

They also added the ability to leverage the co setting for flex schedules to align it with wan, at customers request.

There are far more systems that need a pump to,run all zones than systems that need a pump for some zones. Currently they are working on a more sophisticated scheduler to oil the next most squeaky wheel…the ppl that have legal ramifications for watering on days they are not supposed to when using a flex.

I understand your frustration but there are also a lot of ppl asking to graph multiple iros onto the same schedule and they have not gotten their request either. But in due time.

There is also a good deal of backend rework to handle some big issues on the backlog.

It’s the hardest pet of being a start up, selecting the least tolerant thing to tackle next.

5 Likes

Thanks @plainsane, couldn’t have said it better myself. @Scotcro I just want to emphasize the amount of effort that goes into to adding one feature into 6 different code bases (iOS/Android/Web/Gen 1 firmware/Gen 2 firmware/Cloud). Now add in testing, UX, support, development, etc. and it is very much a prioritization and resource problem.

I’d love to get every feature asked for by our community but then the real world materializes. Our team is growing every month to continue to deliver amazing software, but it does take time.

We are moving as quick as we can and eventually will add in the brunt of these features that make a lot of sense to expand our customer footprint.

:cheers:

@franz & @plainsane, Obviously I know the “Squeaky Wheel gets the Grease”. I also know how trivial Boolean based features can be, no matter what the development environment. There is very little “Logic” to this feature. Simply bind a checkbox UI element to either a boolean in each Zone Object/Data Structure, or map to a bit in a single global 16 bit integer (2^Zone gets the bit weight of each Zone). Then when deciding to turn the Pump output on or off, XOR individual Zone boolean with the Pump enable Boolean. Little impact, little testing. This is what I call “Low Hanging Fruit”

2 Likes

@Scotcro
Thank you for bringing this topic up again. Given that the price of rid-o-rust is almost like buying liquid Gold, I am almost about to give up on using the Rachio controller. With the Rachio is place, my rid-o-rust consumption has gone up 5x, and counters any $savings in water. It may be time to go back to my old Hunter Pro-C controller.It was reliable and did its job.
If being a squeaky wheel gets this must have feature in place, then I can write a comment asking for an update everyday however as you said earlier I don’t think this feature is in their plans at all.

1 Like

I am also interested in an update on this potential feature.

1 Like

I don’t know the cost of the rust stuff, and this solution is probably less than Ideal, but could you but a second Rachio (gen 1) for $149 and use one controller for your rust zones, and the other for non-rust.

Again, just stating a work-around and not solving the issue at hand.

1 Like

Not in defense of anyone but why don’t you have development for “advanced” features on the internet / web only. I don’t think anyone really wants to configure things like pump relay on separate zones on every device.

A lot of applications require you to go on online to do “full” configuration.

Just a thought.

Frank

1 Like

I would also be interested in this feature as I do not need my booster pump running on certain zones

4 Likes

I’m wondering if there has been any update on this? I am currently in the process of building a new home (my IRO stayed at the house I just sold) and would like to install an IRO with my new (and better designed) irrigation system, but lack of zone by zone pump relay control will be a reason to force me to another solution.

@jmeyendorff - I came up with this solution for another community member -> Multiple pumps one controller?

This same process could be used to just pair the zones that need a pump relay with the pump relay at a cost of ~$6.00 per zone that needs to work with the pump relay.

As far as a software solution - I have no idea what will be in V3 or when that version will be released, nor do I think that Rachio will comment (they haven’t been) on either topic.

2 Likes

Control of the pump individually by zone could be accomplished more inexpensively and compactly using triacs instead of relays. If Rachio chooses not to implement individual pump control by zone, I may design a hardware component that could be added to give this control if there would be enough interest. If you would be interested, please like this comment.

6 Likes