Inactive Flow Check enhancements

The new feature that detects flow when there is no manual or scheduled run is a great addition to the functionality of the Rachio3 & Flow Sensor.

I believe a simple enhancement would add tremendous value to that feature. Currently my schedule runs every 3 days, so the Inactive Flow Check will only alert on a potential leak/issue up to 3 days after the issue begins - could be a huge amount of water wasted in that time.

To get around this, I’ve created a schedule for one of my zones to run every 4 hours for 1 minute, which will now alert me to a leak/issue at most after 4 hours - also a waste of water and not great for the shrubs.

Could Rachio add a feature to check for Inactive Flow on a schedule outside of a scheduled or manual run? Ideally we could choose to have the check run at least every 4 hours, which will protect us from wasted water in the event of a valve or pipe break.

Thanks!!

Jeff

1 Like

@jwelch649 love the ingenuity and appreciate the post!

We are currently building out a 2019 Flow road map and this upgrade for Inactive Flow check is being discussed.

2 Likes

Could you elaborate a little more on the work around to detect a leak. I had a main line break between the flow meter and the valve box and lost 7000 gallons over 4 hours when I was away, plus it flooded my basement. I do have an unused zone and would like directions for the best way to set up the controller to notify me of leaks. Also, will the solution affect battery life?

Thanks,
Tobey

I would love to see Rachio implement this change option. its nice that my Rachio3 and flow meter detects water flow right after a zone has run which would indicate a possible valve malfunction.

I have two hose bibs downstream from my flowmeter and travel quite frequently. It would be nice to know if one of my hoses sprang a leak while I was gone and notified me so I could contact a neighbor to shut off my water supply and possible fix the problem before loosing $$$$ worth of water.

Thanks,
Kirby

I’m assuming with dropping of production of the WFM that this feature was never implemented. It would be a nice product improvement for those of us still using the WFM. No chance that product is going to be re-instated, I guess?