As many of you may have noticed, I’m slowly rolling out changes I’ve been working on for wufyi.com.
Right now these changes are mostly visible via a better error reporting, though as I’ve started the roll-out I’ve run into unexpected issues (such as WU will sometimes report that API key is bad, even though it is not).
What this means is that many of you may have gotten an email notification from cron-job.org that your updates have failed, most of them are temporary (though I have about 3 users who are using WU stations which have gone offline), and I’ve implemented changes to filter those out (prevent unnecessary notifications).
Pardon the dust as improvements are made. I’ll post a followup after I’ve rolled out all of the changes and had time to test them. Some of the features to look forward to:
- Backup stations (if primary went offline, system will automatically start pulling data from the backup).
- Calibration (you can specify adjustments you would like to make to any parameter transferred).
- Better, step by step, setup procedure.
- Support for faster updates (run your cron-job every minute, wufyi will take care not to overtax your API).
- Almost forgot, better rain filtering!
Some of the features already live:
- Better error reporting (to cron-job, so you get an email notifications without disabling your cron-job)
- Detection when station went offline (rather then just filtering out “old” data which WU likes to provide sometimes)
- Added support for Solar Radiation (for stations which report it) and UV data. You will not see them at pwsweather, but the data is being transferred, if it is available.