I did it, ordered a PWS... question about wind...?

Once you know your nearest airport’s pressure value, are you entering your values into the ABSOLUTE pressure or RELATIVE pressure fields? I can’t quite figure this out.

I don’t have it directly in front of me as I’m out of town but it wouldn’t harm a thing to pick a box, enter a value and then see what changes in output. Then go from there. Play with it (literally takes a minute) until your output value matches the correct barometric pressure and then you wouldn’t have to adjust it again.

My local airport reported on Weather.com 29.94 in. “pressure” (not sure where this is Absolute or Relative pressure?) .

The observerIP reported:
Absolute pressure = 28.63 in.
Relative pressure = 28.63 in.

So I used the ObserverIP calibration screen to input:
Absolute pressure offset = 0.00 (default)
Relative pressure offset = 1.30

Now the observer IP reports:
Absolute pressure = 28.63 in.
Relative pressure = 29.94 in.

The meteobridge reporting:
Indoor press = 28.63 in. Hg.
Indoor seapress = 28.63 in.Hg.

Now the web services report as follows:
Wunderground = 29.93 in.
PWS = 28.63 in.

Did I do this correctly? or do I also need to enter an absolutely pressure offset value?

Sounds perfect if weather underground is only 00.01 different than what you were going for (likely due to rounding.) don’t worry about indoor pressure numbers. Check CWOP via findu to see if it is also tracking correctly it should be. If you ever get rid of the observer-ip box in the future and go to a meteostick + meteobridge solution then you will have to do a similar correction on the meteobridge’s system correction webpage but that shouldn’t be necessary with your current setup.

You should see your barometer data track very well now. I’m not sure Rachio uses barometric data but as a good weather station citizen it’s worthwhile having your station report correct data to weatherunderground and CWOP if others look to your data.

As for your issue with rainfall I didn’t have that issue so other than saying make sure your station is level, nothing is blocking the collector etc. I’d likely call Ambient Weather I hear they have good customer service and see if they have a suggestion.

Sorry rambling on here… If PWSweather.com shows the wrong value that is strange. Make sure it has a recent update and if still isn’t showing the correct data you may have to enter the correcting offset in the meteobridge system tab page which has similar correction tabs as does the observer-ip’s webpage.

As luck would have it, my rain cup was completely full of water from the prior rain (that didn’t register and prompting me to check out the WS-1400)… there was a seed plugging up the drain hole in the WS-1400 rain cup. A bird must’ve somehow clogged up the rain cup. Once that was removed, everything was back to normal :blush:

2 Likes

It appears that the meteobridge reports RELATIVE Pressure to Wunderground. Hence my pressure only going 00.01 inHg off. Whereas it must be reporting ABSOLUTE Pressure to PWSweather.com as that is the figure it is displaying.

I’ve not input any Absolute Pressure Offset value into the ObserverIP; didn’t think we were supposed to do anything with ABSOLUTE pressure value.

EDIT: also noticed, the meteobridge LIVE DATA page “Indoor Pressure” and “Indoor Seapress” (there are no Outdoor Values) correspond with the ABSOLUTE Pressure values only.

@franz Any progress? Im thinking of doing this PWS project and if I can do it without the bridge, I would love to know!

@Dkd114

No, we have some big plans around weather but won’t materialize this watering season.

I know some users have the Davis Vantage Pro2 broadcasting to CWOP which our current weather provider supports. I don’t believe a bridge is needed, @petercw2 can hopefully speak more regarding this.

:cheers:

For those who have had the WS-1400 from Ambient for a while, do you have issues with the Observer IP being unreachable at random intervals? As in the GUI stops responding and you just get flashing lights on the hardware unit. Resetting the device always makes it work for another random interval of time. I’m debating just getting a Meteostick instead, but am having problems sourcing one for a reasonable price.

I’ve not been impressed with the station quality and support from Ambient. I’ve already had the weather station (random spikes in data) and ObserverIP (no response issue described above) replaced by Ambient and I’m still having issues. I’ve tried different firmware versions to no avail.

Anyone else?

I had this exact issue. Observer IP would randomly stop, maybe once every 5-14 days but you would lose all data until you could reset it and if you were out tough luck. I was so frustrated I finally just bought a Meteostick and that did fix it 100% but at a cost.

Same issue here. I have plans to put this on a timer so it power cycles every night. Hope that will fix it.

2 Likes

Where did you buy your metostick from in the US? The Ambient Weather branded one is quite expensive.

I ended up putting it on a timer to reset every 2hrs and cut power for 1 min. Overall I have great uptime now.

But I shouldn’t have to do this. The meteobridge flashed on the TPlink hardware has never needed a reboot.

Ambient sent me 3 different ObserverIP’s and 2 weather stations before I gave up and went with the power cycling solution.

Hi all,

New to the community here. Recently installed a Gen 2 and now I’m looking at setting up my own PWS. Wanted to thank you all for this thread, as it has lots of good information. I’m in South FL and my toughest obstacle will be determining where to mount the PWS so it doesn’t upset the HOA. :grin:

Most likely I’ll mount it to the side of the house, on one of the eaves, so it’ll be slightly above the roof. I don’t really have a good spot on the ground.

Looking forward to tinkering with the Rachio.

-Carlos

1 Like