Generation 2!

Hey @franz been away for a few months since its winter here and well, my stuff is off, but this is really exciting and great news! This looks like promising hardware upgrade!

2 Likes

Hi @franz!

I just received the email with the limited time offer only to find out mid process that you do not ship to Canada?! Will you be offering something similar to Canadian customers soon?

I see advertisements for integration with Alarm.com, but I cannot find any information on that anywhere.

Also, any ETA on the flow sensor? Will it need to be directly wired?

1 Like

As a current user I’m seriously tempted by the offer to upgrade to Gen 2 for $149 - I have a couple of neighbors who would snap up my Gen 1 in a heartbeat. I’m not sure I understand how Gen 2 would benefit me though. The Wi-Fi setup is a one-time thing, so a nice improvement but not a big deal. The option to add additional sensors sounds promising - I have a rain sensor hooked up to my Gen 1 today, so I guess I could expand that. I only have 5 zones though, so buying a 16-zone unit seems a waste. My controller is in the basement and I never have a need for a landscaper to tinker it. What would you say is a good reason to upgrade? Thanks!

1 Like

@Franz,

I currently have the Gen1. If I am only looking for Homekit support, will my Gen1 or this Gen2 eventually support it? Or will I need to wait for a future generation?

Looking forward to getting on the new hardware.

1 Like

Gen 1 will never be able to support HomeKit (hardware limitation), I can only say Gen 2 does not currently support HomeKit.

:cheers:

1 Like

I don’t have any specific dates but do know this is currently being worked on and targeting Spring 2016.

We are not building a flow sensor, but will support all of the top models out of the gate, and can easily add any models that aren’t covered. The software is coming soon for flow, not there yet. Yes, it is a direct wire.

@franz

You’re making me cry.

Tough call. For your situation it might not make sense. To me the main benefits are:

• buttons (if you need them)
  • underlying hardware is different and will allow for future platform integrations
  • amazing custom outdoor enclosure if you want to lock or hardwire
  • easier wiring bay if have many zones
  • flow sensor capabilities (coming soon)
  • easier pairing process (but like you said mostly a one and done)
  • living on the cutting edge!

We will have an 8 zone this Spring (obviously less money). IMHO everyone will have different needs or wants, so will come down to that.

1 Like

Hopefully tears of joy :joy:

1 Like

Is the hardware included with the Gen 2 capable of offering HomeKit? I understand the software is a separate issue. Like others have said its the only reason I would have to upgrade my Gen 1.

Alex

Hey @magictoaster,

Apologies, but our store currently does not take orders to Canada. However, please email orders@rachio.com and someone will get back to you shortly.

Will there be a similar upgrade discount offer for the 8-zone version? I’ll have an easier time selling my old one and upgrading for cheap/free if it costs me even less than $149. (BTW, thanks for the generous upgrade offer!)

All I can say is Gen 2 does not currently support HomeKit.

Thanks Franz. That last bullet is often reason enough for me! The flow sensor capability is potentially the most interesting - any chance you’re able to share roughly how this would work? I’m guessing that it allows a more accurate view of water consumption, and the flow sensor would need to be plumbed inline with the main water line into my sprinkler system.

That said, I might hold off for the 8-zone unit (unless buying the 16-zone unit at a discount now is likely to be cheaper than buying the 8-zone unit later, if it’s not likely to have an equivalent discount? I realize you may not be in a position to answer this one on a public forum!).

I don’t know the specifics yet sorry.

Same here, would be great to get some formal announcement that the discount will be extended to the 8-zone.

Yes, it will provide you extremely accurate consumption data. It will also allow us to completely dial in the precipitation rate for each zone, which in turn will make our run time calculations better. There are a whole slew of possibilities once we can measure flow. Water budgets, notifications, etc.

Yes regarding the inline plumbing, and directly wired to the controller.

OK. May want to take Alarm.com integration out of the marketing literature then! I will look forward to that when it comes as I control a lot of my house through that app.

Do you happen to have any example flow sensors to reference? I would like to direct bury the cable before I do some work in the area where it would go.

We will announce all of the 8 zone information once we are ready :sunny: