Gen 3 Single PWS Precipitation Missed

I just got a Gen3 installed for my mother in Florida and configured it to use a PWS nearby. Yesterday the station recorded over an inch of rain in the afte rnoon but the station reported no recorded precipitation and the schedule still ran the schedule shortly after midnight.

Is there a time lag in getting wunderground data to where Rachio can use it? I have to assume the controller isn’t actually looking at the weather station data directly, but instead looking at Rachio’s database after the PWS data is loaded. The station I’m using is KFLBEVER5 and the rain event was 4:30pm on 7/4, if that helps locate the missing data.

After doing more reading in the FAQ, I see that selecting a PWS with a Gen3 controller is not advised. However, reading other kb articles, I assume written a while ago, still point the user to selecting a PWS. While, I personally understand how difficult it is to maintain user documentation as new software versions and products are released, maybe breaking up the kb articles into generation specific area would be a workable solution. As it is now, it is kind of caveat emptor.

Chuck

@RydForLyf Normally the system will work exactly how you described, and I do usually recommend choosing a close by PWS for accuracy and data timeliness. In this instance it looks like WU was having issues and we could not retrieve the data from that station.

2019-07-05 03:48:34,459 [calendar_processing_type=OVERRIDE, RequestId=S5AiZrU9c1b, device_id=xxxxx, skip_processing_type=RAIN, schedule_id=xxxxx] WARN WeatherSkipHelper Failed to run precip activeSkip for xxxxx on 2019-07-05 with weatherstation KFLBEVER5 due to weather service error.
com.rachio.schedule.core.exception.WeatherServiceException: Couldn’t get weather from weather service.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I’ll forward this to WU to see what issues they were having this morning. I also noticed you switched to the WI+ which uses interpolated data. The data is a few hours behind but does not rely on an individual station so can sometimes be more resilient. I’ll also work with the engineering team on our fall back strategy. In this case I would have assumed we would have fell back to WI+ if we couldn’t retrieve data from your chosen station.

:cheers:

Thanks Franz. The log data is helpful. I would agree that this exception could best be handled with an interpolated result.

Based on your recommendation I’ve switched back to the PWS. Maybe someone could look at the FAQ that suggests not using a PWS with the G3.

Thanks for the great customer service.

Chuck

1 Like

Digging deeper, it actually looks like we couldn’t retrieve an extended forecast for that area, which should not impact the weather skips. Having the team patch this so the software is more resilient and flexible for missing data that is not pertinent to immediate weather skip logic.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this all leads to a better product for everyone. I’ve been doing software for 25 years and it’s never done, or perfect.

1 Like

My PWS has been online with WU for several day now but it has not been added to the PWS list on my Gen 3 controller. Can it be added? My weather station ID is: KFLNEWPO137 Thanks

It takes about a week for it to show up from WU.

Ok Thanks.