Gen 2 not connecting to wifi

Hello, I’ve been trying to connect my gen 2 to my wifi for a week now, and still no luck. The second light is flashing on the controller, and the android app is always hung up after I input my wifi password. I’m using the 2ghz network on both phone and controller.

Saw the forums, and it seems like I’m not the first person with this issue (unfortunately, couldn’t find the solution in those archived posts). Any help connecting would be much appreciated!

-Victor

1 Like

Hey Victor!

I’m so sorry for the issues getting started. Did you have a chance to take a look at some of our troubleshooting steps on the Help Center? Here are a couple that might help:

:cheers: Lo

1 Like

@victor - a couple of things to check:

1. Is there a 5 GHz network also? If so, does it have a different SSID?
  2. Is WEP enabled? If so, disable and use WPA/WPA2.
  3. Have you run the RouteThis app and sent the resulting code to Rachio support. The code required to run it is RACH (I believe from memory)?
  4. By chance is there an iOS device (e.g. iPad) that can be used to test/initial configuration? Many times the iOS app is better.
  5. Does the Rachio app have full access to the Android phone? I remember situation where one poster restricted access and it prevented the app from working. Maybe delete and re-add the app or check permissions.
  6. Can a description of the WiFi setup be posted - mesh, extended, access points, make/model, etc.
  7. When standing at the Rachio, how strong is the WiFi signal?

One can request a call from Rachio support, or call them and they have some networking rock stars that will get it connected.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response guys! Looked at the two guides already, and tried those but still couldn’t connect.

In response to your questions:

1. Yes, there’s also a dualband 5Ghz. Different SSIDs (“network name” for 2.4ghz, and “network name5” for 5ghz). I use the 2.4ghz for both phone and controller.
    2 Network uses WPA/WPA2.
  2. I haven’t tried RouteThis app, yet. I will try later today.
  3. No iOS device nearby, but I’ll borrow a friend’s tonight to try it.
  4. Yes, Rachio app has full access. I just deleted and reinstalled the app. Now when I try to add my controller, it says “It appears this controller is already in use. Please contact support for assistance.”
  5. WiFi is from a Netgear 6700 Nighthawk, connected to an Xfinity modem. No mesh, no extensions, no access points. Other devices connected to the wireless include a smart tv, ps4, and pc.
  6. Full strength WiFi signal.

@laura.bauman -

I think you’ll need to have support fix this for @victor:

Not sure how it got hung up in the system.

1 Like

Thanks for more info @victor! I agree with @dlane - might be a good idea to reach out to our support team. They’re crazy good at troubleshooting Wi-Fi issues! Feel free to call at 844-4Rachio or email at support@rachio.com.

:cheers:

1 Like

When I had a similar problem I change the wifi channel on my router from 14 to 10. Seems like Rachio don’t support channels above 12 or something. That fixed the problem for me.

Thanks for the really quick responses everyone! I’ll check my wifi channel, and will reach out to support. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Just an update to everyone:

did the factory rest on the controller twice, and everything is working like a charm now. love controlling the sprinklers/drip system with my phone! :smiley:

thanks again to everyone on these forums; love the product! and great support from the team!

3 Likes

I had the same basic problem. Had no issue for 10 months and then the unit mysteriously goes “offline”. I tried everything, even replacing the $100 wireless access point assuming that might be an issue. After two weeks of frustration and dealing with the utterly useless Rachio tech support (they just kept sending the same lame wifi reset instructions over and over), I tried using my wife’s iPad instead of the two different Samsung Galaxy (Android) phones I normally use to control the Rachio controller. Problem solved in 10 seconds. Hat tip to the user comment above suggesting trying an Apple device rather than Android and shame on Rachio for not flagging this issue as a known problem.

1 Like

Arto: my understanding is that the allocated 2.4 GHz WiFi spectrum (in the U.S.) only supports channels 1 thru 11. Nobody supports channels above 11 in 2.4GHz. Within those 11 channels there are only 3 non-overlapping channels: 1, 6 and 11 and those are the ones that are recommended by wifi equipment vendors.

(the 5 GHz spectrum supports many more channels than 2.4 GHz but the Gen2 Rachio controller is 2.4 GHz only)

Yes in US the channels used is 1-11. In the rest of the world also 12,13,14(2.4 GHz) . That was my problem. Running channel 14 that rachio does not support.

Hello Tech Support Team. I am having a similar problem.
I recently bought a new home and inherited the previous owner’s Rachio.
I set up my account but when I scan the BAR CODE ON THE BOX the rachio
came in and try to connect to my network, it searches for some minutes but fails
to connect. Can I get some help? And can someone inherit another person’s rachio
for the same address?

@rihreh64 - Have the steps mentioned in this knowledgebase article been followed?

Also, what time of wireless network is running?

Follow the steps in this article to run RouteThis:

Gen 2 supports only 2.4 GHz networks. It is best to have different SSIDs for 5 GHz an 2.4 GHz networks.

What flavor of the app is being used for set (iOS or Android)? FWIW, iOS seems to perform the initial setup better. After the initial setup an Android can be used to run the app with no issues.

2 Likes

Wanted to thank this thread. I had my router set to same ssid for 2.4 and 5ghz. My phone speed varied from 40mbps to 170mbps when connected (varied all day). Just set up a new ssid for 5hz. Rachio works fine on 2.4, and phone hits 230mbps on 5!

2 Likes

So I finally succeeded tom connect the Rachio Gen 2 to my accounted and it is now
activated. It prompted me tom test the zones. I did but there was no sprinkling. I reported
this to the tech support and he recommended I manually open the sprinkler at the box.
I did but there was no water flowing through the pipes. Can anyone help?

Post a picture of your wiring.

Hello all.
So my Gen 2 is finally activated and connected to my account and water is flowing through my valves when I do a manual testing. However when I lunch my Rachio to water my zones nothing happens. Let me state here that I inherited the Rachio from the previous homeowner but did a factory reset and connected it to my own network.
So can anyone help me figure out why it is not working?

What happens when you select a zone on the “Yard” screen, then hit “quick run” (say for 3 minutes). Nothing happens?

Yes nothing happens, But the Rachio is telling me the watering is taking place.