Gen 2 does not turn off

I turned on manually zone 2 yesterday after it did not water the last 10 days as planned. It turned off the sprinkler as directed after 5 minutes. The next morning I turned it on again but this time it did not stop watering. It did not show any watering on the app and therefore could not stop it with the app I also could not stop it by unplugging the ratio controller from the power. The only way to stop it was by turning off the water valve. When I turn on the water valve again it starts watering again. Hope that was not too confusing. What can I do? I wasted tons of water!!

If you have a multimeter you could test the output of that station to see if the controller is actually sending power to the solenoid of the valve. But it sounds more like a solenoid that is stuck in the on position. You could try tapping on the solenoid(if you know the location)sometimes they will unstick and shut off. If the controller has no power going to the solenoid and it is running then most likely a solenoid problem. I suspect it is the solenoid since you disconnected power to the controller. The valve could also have some trash in it not allowing it to close properly.

1 Like

It sure does sound like the solenoid/ valve is stuck in the “open” condition or the valve diaphragm has a hole in it

1 Like

For sure sounds like a failed diaphragm inside the valve assembly.

1 Like

I changed the solenoid and it still does not turn off. Any other ideas?

I changed the solenoid and it still does not turn off. Any other ideas?

@T.F, turn off the water going to that valve and remove the top of the valve and check for a ripped or torn diaphragm. It is possible that the valve has some trash stuck it not allowing it close or seat properly. Good luck.

If there is no power going to the valves solenoid and you have alreadyreplaced the solenoid, yet the valve let’s water flow through it, replace the valve. They are inexpensive enough to not fuss with them and get more aggravated. I’ve been through that myself. The last 3 valves I bought to replace years old ones were only about 13 dollars each if I remember right. Orbit 57280

2 Likes

No need to replace the whole valve. Usually, I buy a complete valve (because they aren’t MUCH more than just a diaphragm) and replace the guts and top/bonnet and solenoid. There is nothing in the bottom housing to wear out or replace, assuming no cracks. Easy, quick 5 minute fix, and no need to repipe a new bottom.

2 Likes

I use the models of valves that have threaded inlets and outlets and that makes it a fast replacement as well. Orbit valves over the years have changed somewhat from one generation to the next and use parts that may not be compatible. Besides, they come with a 6 year warranty and I would imagine that taking them apart would void the warranty. I never took advantage of the warranty though. Again, I’d rather replace the entire valve as it is almost as easy as replacing it’s parts unless you have those that are glued to the piping. Also, I use unions to make replacements ultra easy. Well, I’m not saying it’s fun though. Lol