Designing new lawn sprinkler system

Hello,

I am in the process of designing a lawn sprinkler system for my house. After doing some research I have purchased a Rachio 2nd generation controller and would now like to purchase the rest of the components (valves, pop-up sprinklers, nozzles, etc.). I would like to use sprinklers that are as water efficient as possible. After doing some research I am considering using Toro Precision rotating nozzles (PRN’s) along with in-stem valves from a company called Valvette Systems that will allow greater adjustment of the nozzles.Has anyone used these valves before and are they worth getting along with the Toro PRN’s? I was thinking of using Toro 570Z PRX spray heads and also use Toro zone valves (not sure which model). Would anyone recommend that I use something different?

http://www.valvettesystems.com/

FYI. I only have approximately 2500 sqft of lawn and flower beds to water. The system will be supplied by city water at approximately 80 psi through a 3/4" supply pipe.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

I’m a former Toro rep, so I always feel good about their products. I’ve heard good things about valvette, too. As far as the valves I would suggest using Irritrol valves. Irritrol is a division of Toro. For a homeowner I like the 2400 jar top valve. It’s been around since 1969 and is easy to repair. Another great Irritrol valve is the 205, the first plastic valve manufactured. Toro makes great valves bur they are pricey for homeowners. For rotors you will like their T5P-Rapid Set. No tools needed to adjust the spray pattern, just your hands.

2 Likes

If you have 80 psi pressure, I encourage you to put a pressure regulator for the whole system. Wilkins, Febco and Watts make them. Theu come preset at 50 psi, which is good for rotors. Your pressure regulated sprays will drop their pressure down to 30 psi. I don’t understand why you want to use Valvette. Guess I don’t see the point. If they won’t work with male thread Toro sprays, you can go with female thread Irritrol IPROs.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the recommendations.

The reason I was considering using the Valvette Littlevalves is that they allow you to reduce the radius of the Toro PRN’s down to 18". Which would allow me to use these nozzles in smaller areas. According to Toro’s specs the PRN’s only go down to 14’ without a Littlevalve installed. Should I be using different nozzles for smaller areas instead, such as the Precision spray nozzles (PSN’s) or something from a different manufacturer? I just thought it would make it easier designing the system if I minimized the amount of different sprinklers.

Regards,
Sean

Wow. Very nice.

I don’t like having a lot of different parts. For awhile I was mixing the Toro PRNA nozzles and MP rotators, but for me the MP Rotators were a better fit for the dimensions of my large back shrub bed. It really comes down to best product fit for you. I like the flat trajectory of the Toro PRNAs, however.

I’ve been wondering about the trajectory issue. I’m planning to retrofit my nozzles with rotators and I have a couple areas with moderate slope. maybe 5-6’ rise over 20’. There are limited heads in this area so I’m trying to cover the full 20’ distance with each head.

For the heads throwing down the slope it’s no problem but for the heads throwing up the slope the flat trajectory on the Toro PRNAs doesn’t seem like it would work. The MPs seem like they have more arc from the videos I’ve seen but I’m not sure if it’s enough.

What’s the right way? Do you angle the head so it’s perpendicular to the slope or keep it level?

Hi there. Your question is better answered by someone at Toro Technical Servic. 800-367-8676.
Or check with a local supply house. My guess is you will need to use some MP Rotators.

Consider adding a flow meter (or leave room for one) on the manifold for your new irrigation installation. The Iro gen 2 can use it to measure water usage.

Also check with local utilities for rebates on the controller, sprinklers with check valves, rain sensor, etc.

1 Like