Climate Skip "off" - when does it take effect

Do you have to create a new schedule in order to have this setting change actually take effect? I switched to Climate Skip off after weeks of predictions never coming close to true and the sprinklers not running, but it did not seem to make a difference when I changed the setting. I also changed the rain threshold at the same time from .125 to .25 inches and that seems to be reflected, but the Climate Skip setting no so much. Predicting rain fall in Florida is best done after it lands. It will rain, but I could get nothing or 2 inches more compared to someone 1/2 mile away.

I just setup a new schedule with Climate Skip “off”, but that is a bit of a last resort approach.

Suggestions?

The other thing I should add is it does not seem to account for predictions that fail to come true.

No, once it is toggled off it will not continue to process climate skip. If you are experiencing a different behavior please post screenshot(s).

Thanks!

Yea, Florida is an unwieldy beast in the weather department. @franz will have to speak to flex monthly or fixed schedule recovery, I would assume it waits till the next schedule. I think this is where flex daily shines, it’s event driven so the lack of percipitation would trigger a new watering event.

If you need help setting up flex daily, let us know.

There is definitely something broken with the Rain Skip & Climate Skip settings. After my post I updated my schedule to ensure BOTH the climate skip was OFF and the threshold was .25" of rain. I verified these settings were in place. Today I got a skip notice. Both the Rain Threshold and the Climate Skip settings were changed in my schedule. Rain back to .125" and Climate Skip to “On”. I suspect the seasonal shift FUBAR’s it.

Today at 4:14 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.01 in and predicted 0.18 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.125

Today at 4:14 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.01 in and predicted 0.18 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.125

Last Monday at 4:37 PM
Seasonal shift applied to all Zones 15 mins a day

Seasonal shift applied to New landscape (daily)

Seasonal shift applied to Water all zones

Seasonal shift applied to Every 3 days

Last Monday at 4:14 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 1.59 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.25

Last Saturday at 4:14 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am was not skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.01 in and predicted 0.06 in of precipitation and the total threshold is 0.25 in

Last Thursday at 4:13 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.83 in and predicted 0.11 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.25

Jul 26 at 4:13 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.98 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.25

Jul 25 at 4:15 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.01 in and predicted 0.57 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.25

Jul 23 at 4:13 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am was not skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.24 in and predicted 0.0 in of precipitation and the total threshold is 0.25 in

Jul 21 at 4:13 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 predicted 2.63 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.25

Jul 19 at 4:14 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.15 in and predicted 1.83 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.25

Jul 17 at 4:14 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.05 in and predicted 0.22 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.25

Jul 15 at 4:14 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.29 in and predicted 1.22 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.25

Jul 13 at 4:13 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.45 in and predicted 0.3 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.25

Jul 11 at 4:13 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am was not skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.12 in and predicted 0.0 in of precipitation and the total threshold is 0.25 in

Jul 9 at 4:13 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 observed 0.32 in and predicted 0.51 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.25

Jul 7 at 4:14 AM
Every other day at 5:00 am skipped since station PWS_TPA33629 predicted 0.32 in of precipitation with a total threshold of 0.125

@mclancy

We just found and fixed this issue today, this will not happen on any subsequent seasonal shifts.

Thanks for your patience and have a great day!

:cheers:

Still a problem. Climate Skip is OFF yet still skipping with forecasted rain amounts… :grimacing:

That looks like a rain skip, not a climate skip. The PWS observed .01 and predicted .24 so it looks like it bumping right up to the threshold. Don’t know if it summed the two and hit the threshold or perhaps there was some rounding error.

1 Like

You would see the below message if there was a climate skip:

08/08/2016
Based on weather and soil conditions, the next scheduled watering time for Morning will be skipped

Looks like all of the other skips pictured above are also rain skips so that’s the setting that is causing you issues.

1 Like

But it is a rain skip for a PROJECTED amount of rain that almost never happens. As a user I would expect a rain skip to actually used observed measurements.

Unfortunately that’s the downside of fixed and flex monthly schedules, it sacrifices accuracy for predictability. The rain skip I think looks at the previous 24 hours and the next 24 hours to see if any rain fell and if any is predicted. If the two add up to the rain threshold it will skip the watering until the next scheduled watering. If the forecasts are consistently off you might think of just switching the rain skip off.

Flex daily does provide more accurate adjustments. Rather than skip a watering it delays it to account for the additional water added by rain.

2 Likes

The challenge in Florida is all rain amount projections might as well be a random number generator. My buddy 5 blocks away might get 2" and I get almost nothing. It is so hyper local due to the nature of the daily thunderstorms which is why I did a PWS based system in the first place. When the weather folks say 50% chance of rain here it means 100% chance it will rain, but only 50% that it will rain on top of you. If you predict a bunch of rain and it doesn’t come you have to revisit the next prediction and rely more on lagging indicators. The vegetation sure knows it didn’t get wet as it turns brown as a lagging indicator. :frowning:

My issue is this system used to work correctly. It measured rain fall and if it rained too much it skipped the next water. Now it measures less than threshold, but predicts measured+future to be more than threshold. The prediction does not measure actual reality and then repeats skipping again and again and again… This means green stuff turns brown.

How do I downgrade software versions to the 9 months ago one that worked?

You must install a weather station…sorry but all other attempts will fails

@mclancy, sorry for any confusion but the Rain Skip feature has not changed; it’s always looked back 24 hours and ahead 24 hours and totaled the sum of observed and predicted rainfall. You might want to consider increasing your rain skip threshold from .25 inches to .50 inches. Alternatively, you could disable the feature and install a rain sensor which will interrupt the common wire and disable the controller anytime the sensor is wet (therefore it’s only activated if/when you get rainfall).

Your request is an interesting feature request for future consideration; allowing the user the ability to customize if Rain Skip uses observed and/or forecasted rainfall (and set the probability sensitivity) in areas where forecasts are inaccurate might be a useful feature for users in your area.

1 Like