Apple HomeKit for iOS

@alexrodriguez‌ @brm51‌ @Bschwart‌ @lwcomdeco @coreymcl‌ @bobcats9498‌ @Wildcatz_1 @rgreenpc Integrations are another high priority item on our list. Our APIs have been built to make all of these possible.

3 Likes

Franz, thats what we were all hoping for and looks like (if Homekit is one of them) that you’ve put another solid check in the IRO box ! Thanks

Is your API going to be public?

@rgreenpc‌ Our current plan involves integrating with all of the popular platforms and connected initiatives. At that point we will look at exposing a set of public APIs. Thanks for your questions and feedback!

From what I have read through the dev page on homekit, the device requires specific hardware requirements to support HomeKit.

Are you able to disclose if The Rachio iro contains the needed components; or are you only saying the future support of homekit (with possible future product updates) will support it? @franz

@alexmack You are correct. HomeKit will require specific hardware components that are not in our current hardware. When HomeKit was first announced last year we weren’t sure as to how the integration would take place. But, we have learned what you have learned and it will indeed require an update to our hardware. We don’t yet have plans to explore this with the current hardware.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks and have a great day!

I really appreciate your honest answer. That clarifies things quite a bit.

+1 for future Homekit hardware support. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Franz,

If you want an inexpensive wifi/MCU/mfi solution with home kit software I can help you. We have created an inexpensive Qualcomm qca4002 + Freescale k22 + mfi + home kit software solution. I work for arrow elections in Denver, but on here as a consumer. I can meet this week if you like.

Steve

@thepro8 Thanks for the heads up, I’ll PM you for more information.

:beers:

With all the Homekit announcements lately is there anything that Rachio would like to share? :slight_smile: I’m going to preorder a new Ecobee almost immedately. Rachio? Huh? huh? :smile:

Hi @InmatesRunThePlace. We still don’t yet have plans to update our current hardware to support HomeKit. We’ll look to see how things shake out with the launch and prioritize any upgrade from there. I hope this helps.

:beers:

1 Like

It’s disappointing to still hear so late in the game that you don’t have plans to update the current hardware for HomeKit. I just bought a new (to me) home with an 11 zone system driven by a 15 year old controller. High on my priority list is to replace this controller with a modern controller. Homekit support is a must have feature for any new home automation devices I buy, so who ever supports this first gets my money.

2 Likes

Noted :wink:

1 Like

+1

You could just create a HomeKit Compatible Bridge that would interact with Rachio Iro. That would make HomeKit accessible to your current owners. For your later, newer hardware, you could build the compatibility into the hardware.

Will that work over WiFi?

Still mass confusion! :wink:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/future-proofing-smart-home-apple-homekit-compatibility/

I am unsure – my understanding is that the bridge must be able to communicate directly with HomeKit, but it can use wifi to communicate with the devices behind it. The bridge was designed to allow for greater integration. Hence a wifi product (Iro) can be controlled by HomeKit through the bridge.

I would need to do further research, but that is my current understanding.

zway already provides a homekit controller and it is fairly straight forward to write your own js plugins. one day when im too lazy to use the app ill write a plugin, but today is not that day.

Chiming in for home kit support too :slight_smile: +!

Yes, but that is a bridge between HomeKit and z-wave. Rumor has it that, for now, Wi-Fi devices like the Iro cannot be bridged to HomeKit. They must use a HomeKit-approved Wi-Fi chip for security purposes.

That could change in the future, but nobody really knows.

1 Like