API software released to production

This release supports all of the new 2.0 functionality:

• flex schedules
  • zone photo images
  • preferred weather station
  • new MAD, nozzle, root zone depth, efficiency defaults to better tune system and conserve water
  • much, much more

@franz - the subject name is a bit cryptic for the ‘rest of us’. Could you explain ‘whats in a name’. Also, is this letting us know that a firmware update is being deployed to our IROs? If so, how can we confirm that it was received? Should we notice any changes with our current software or any changes to how the IRO is operating prior to IRO 2.0 software release?

Thanks,
David

@franz - perhaps you could also clarify whether there will be a software update on our hardware itself or an update in the cloud based intelligence system that sets schedules within our hardware. I would hope it would be the latter as that would be a better way to deploy the software (IMHO).

Sorry, just an internal way for us to track releases. There is nothing special to this, other than it is incremental.

I will post when that happens, within the next day or so. It is seamless over the air (OTA), so you do not have to do anything. Just let the magic happen :wink:

No, everything should be backwards compatible. :+1:

@Tomzo - You might be right in your assumption. When I see a ‘cloud’ release as it relates to a cloud managed environment, I assumed they are pushing something from the cloud to our devices. From your perspective, maybe this is just for their hosting environment. I’m sure Franz will clarify.

@franz - I always like ‘should be’. :wink: ‘Stuff happens’. So it is always good for us to be aware of what changes are being made, confirm that the change has been received and look out for any unexpected consequences.

Thanks!

Would @franz be willing to share some more details about how/when software updates occur on the Iro itself? How long is that process and what happens if I were to start a manual watering on a zone during that time? Will the iOS or webapp prompt me to wait while the download/upgrade is complete etc.?

Well, if you want to see how the sausage is made…

API code has been released. Fun fact, since our inception we’ve probably released API code to production over 100 times, easily.

Firmware has changes to persist flex schedules when your device reboots, since they are transient.

There will not be any noticeable changes, we are just laying the groundwork to support the 2.0 client software.

:beers:

Sure. Firmware updates are very, very infrequent. This honestly might be one of the last ones, ever.

The Iro controller takes orders. We tell it when to (or not to) run schedules and for how long.

Our cloud infrastructure has 99.99% of controller logic.

From the outset, we are a software company, and there is a device on your wall that knows how to turn solenoids on/off and run schedules.

Our cloud infrastructure will only get smarter in building schedules, predicting when to run schedules, etc. while the controller itself just takes order.

Hope that helps.

I understand that the Iro itself will rarely get reflashed. However, how would I know if it is in the midst of such an upgrade? Will the phone app inform me if I happen to try to trigger a manual run around that time?

You’ve already mentioned that upgrades are automagic, but is there a way for a user to look at version information?

Thanks!

The over the air update takes a few seconds so will not be noticeable. There is currently no external way for you to determine firmware running on your device. If the device is online the firmware is automatically applied. If it is offline, as soon as it comes online it will be upgraded.

1 Like

This is the true power of this device and is what makes it a game changer. Over time the rest of the home irrigation system will become more aware from a variety of sensors and the Iro will be able to adapt to those seamlessly. Awesome!

Now this is a very helpful posting. Interesting to see the design philosophy chosen by Rachio.

We’re at the opposite end. 100% of all controller logic for the real time energy and logging units we deploy is done at the local hardware. In fact, it’s a true Internet Appliance, with an embedded web server. The cloud is used to receive data logging, update firmware, and to present the appropriate screens.

Thanks for sharing the design philosophy of the Rachio. Not all companies will do this. Interesting.

Best regards,

Bill