API for use in home automation systems

@franz‌ There should be little concern with a “large” REST API being consumer consumable… the people who want/need it will know how to handle it. Just make it available and we’ll use it. Looking forward to it.

Thanks.

@BitBucket‌ I love that we have a very knowledgeable and tech savvy community, I very much appreciate that. The effort largely comes down to documentation, scalable OAuth (in the sense that we allow the general public to use it), and some guard rails all which take our time from other efforts. My main effort right now is getting WaterSense certified and refactoring our water budget and weather intelligence algorithms. When those are done I want to re-focus on external APIs. We very much believe in an open eco-system and can’t wait to see the mash ups. Thanks for your feedback!

@franz Stepping outside of the core of consuming an API, I agree entirely with concerns of scalable access and appreciate that you have various priorities which may trump the luxury of an API.

My only comment/opinion at this point is I hope (assume) the API was at the core of Rachio’s design and not an after-thought. In my experience both writing and using others’ APIs is that if they come after the fact they typically are cumbersome at best. I believe I have seen allusions to Rachio’s API being baked into the core design though so it should be a pleasure to use.

Thanks for the response.

To success,
Bit

@franz have you gotten a response from IFTTT yet?

Also, back around March, I had heard that the Iro would integrate with Staples Connect…is this still true and if so, will it be happening soon?

@jeremyshultz‌ No response yet, I have reached out to IFTTT multiple times, business must be good! The Staples Connect project is on hold, will definitely give you an update if that status changes.

@jeremyshultz‌ @BitBucket‌ @steveganz‌ etc…I will be promoting a small set of APIs open to the public soon, stay tuned!

Is there any chance at all that Staples Connect will be revisited anytime soon? They just made a major software upgrade as well as releasing a brand new hub from D-Link.

My vote is for RTI we are layering that on top of things like HAI. It looks like there is HAI integration.

I am wondering where this stands for RTI integration. How can this be done? Help!

@mrgadgetron I can help someone build it, but it’s not on our priority list at the moment.

Thanks!

:beers:

get it, it is the tits!

Adding one more vote for HAI integration