Ants

I couldn’t find it in the advanced settings. Outside of maintaining a healthy lawn, any preferred methods to get rid of ants?

I find bifenthrin is one of the best and safest ways to go. It will be the main ingredient in some pesticides. Good Luck.

2 Likes

I’ll look into it. My grass is heavily used by both dog and kids so safety is definitely a concern.

Yes I have 4 dogs so that is always a concern for me. After you put it down wait at least 1 hour before you let them play on it (read the instructions). Do not use granular. That can work more like a slow release but is much less predictable for the animals and kids to play around.

Any tips for applying to grass? Water first? Don’t water for a set time afterwards?

With the spray I use, I spray then leave the water off for 24 hours.

Do you have Texas Fire ants? If you do, you need a bait and individual mound treatment two step process.

1 Like

We are adding an ant deterrent setting in our next software release :wink:

:cheers:

1 Like

Sweet! I use tannerite myself.

Once you get that dialed, I would like you to implement a motion sensor activated goose deterrent.

1 Like

I use a Remington 1100 for that.

1 Like

I use Talstar Pro off of Amazon. 2 years in NW Florida without a single fire ant!

Active Ingredient: 7.9% Bifenthrin; Target pests: Talstar Pro controls over 75 different pests; everything from spiders, mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks and fleas to pillbugs, chinch bugs, earwigs and millipedes
Application area: Inside, outside, around the perimeter, and even in food handling areas
Pet safe: Yes, when dry.; Always read the label before use

That is what I use also. I don’t suggest it outright because around here it is restricted use and can only be purchase with a pesticide license.

I checked our pesticide that we’ve already been using outside around the house and it has that ingredient in it. I’ll be throwing that into the sprayer and having at it.

I would also purchase a motion sensor activation device for geese.

We would need the ability to program a motion sensor initiated schedule. The motion sensor would need to be wifi based.

Well, with openhab and zway, you can have the motion detector call out to a http service. My motion detector kicks my landscaping lights, I played around with the irrigation but geese are not my problem, car thieves are and I don’t have a head that gets to my truck.