Another Arizona Set-up help thread!

My apologies, I missed this part in your original posting. You certainly seem to have the right approach of having more emitters for larger shrubs, and single ones for the smaller guys. On those my suggestion would be to run through the approach that I sent you twice, each time taking into account the canopy size, and appropriate flow rate. For example, if you had a 2 ft. diameter shrub with 1 emitter, run that through with 2GPH and the 2ft diameter. Record the recommended duration from ‘Water It Wisely’. Next if you had some 6 ft. diameter shrubs with two 2 GPH shrubs, run through the exercise with 4 GPH and the 6ft diameter. Record the recommended watering duration from ‘Water It Wisely’, and compare it to the recommendation for the smaller shrub. The conservative option would be to target the longer of the two times when you manually adjust the nozzle PR for that zone, but you can use your judgement on using an average. The risk would be that you might underwater some of the plants. Again, I’d love to see your results.

1 Like

I have 2GPH emitters and I’m curious what is the ground like after a 2 hour soak? When I first got the Rachio this spring I ran for 2 hours and I had significant runoff here with my sandy loam soil in North phoenix

1 Like

If you feel like you went through the link right stick with what it’s telling you. Then, look at the schedules and see if the frequency makes sense relative to what you’ve had in the past. You might post a screenshot of the soil readout here. Look for the ‘Available Water’ in the website. It’s great to see that you’ve done your homework.

Nice looking property by the way !

1 Like

I haven’t had a cycle run yet with the changes I have made. I’m still drying out from the storm the other afternoon. What I had before was only netting me about an hour run time and things weren’t looking good.

How often did that run?

@Modawg2k, do you still have that reverse Eeyore-Storm-Cloud kinda thing going over there?

Not nearly enough! I think it would run about once a week. It was fine when I first got it set up and the weather was cooler. Once it got hot, it wasn’t even close to enough. Changing soil type, and fixing a bad calculation on the 2gph emitters (pulled from the boards here) bumped it way up and trees are set to run on the 10th, shrubs on the 15th.

HA, no, we got DUMPED on Tuesday night. My front yard is set up for flood irrigation, so they are kinda like retention basins…

Lower portion is about 8", upper is about 16" tall just for reference…

1 Like

haha… actually we got rain for the past few days, rained pretty hard for a little bit yesterday, but definitely no floods developing outside

So I set my efficiency to 100% and set the crop coefficient to default and it brought the trees down to 3h 45m, shrubs 3h 36m. Again, still assuming sandy loam, 2gph emitters (.40 in/hour).

How does it compare to the runtime recommendation resulting from the Watering Use It Wisely directions ?

One quick note, if your trees are established you might want to change the root depth to 36 inches, which is what water it wisely recommends

1 Like

Changing root depth to 36" (landscaping is at least 12 years old, so I’d say it’s established) pushed the next run time out a few more days to the 15th and is now set to run for 5h 24m.

Water use it wisely is calling for 4-4.5 for trees and shrubs depending on emitter count and guesstimating canopy size. That kind of tells me the guy who owned the house before me knew what he was doing since everything is set up pretty well for even watering regardless of plant size. I would certainly hope this was the case since he owned a landscape design and installation company.

1 Like

@tmcgahey That’s great. Since this is a new schedule I’d recommend keeping your eye on things for a while. As the days go by after your last watering pass, start to take quick daily strolls around the yard to see how things are doing. After a cycle or two you’ll know if you need any adjustments. I had one or two shrubs that were looking stressed a day before the next watering cycle, so I bumped up my crop coefficient to make it water one day sooner. Also check immediately after the watering cycle to see if you get excessive pooling or runoff anywhere. From the sounds of it you’ll probably be fine.

2 Likes

Even though it is true that my root depth on the trees is every bit of 36" after 12 + years of growth, it does put me over “Water Use it Wisely” recommendations. Should I switch it back to get it to align closer to the 4-4.5 hour range?

Also when I first set this up winter/spring of this year, I mentioned that things were looking good and healthy. At that time, Rachio was only watering for about 1h 45m every 7-10 days (granted, it wasn’t really set up correctly). I’m assuming that Flex schedules will scale back the 4 hour run time a bit in the winter months? That is the whole purpose of this, right?

The run time won’t change for flex daily, only the frequency. That’s also what water it wisely recommends. If the run time is too long you might want to increase the precipitation rate a little bit.

In your experience, how much longer were the intervals in the winter months? I really don’t care if it stays at 4 hours, I just want to make sure it seasonally adjusts somehow. My Hunter Pro-C I can manually seasonally adjust, but it adjust watering times, not frequency.

I only added drip for my trees this spring so I don’t have winter data for them but for my lawn it was watering about once a month in January compared to every other day for a while in July.

@JPedrego, are you in AZ? I’m assuming you didn’t overseed if you were only running sprinklers once a month…

@tmcgahey When I started my flex schedules in the spring I looked at the frequency, and watched it into early summer when we went from the mid-80s to 117F within about a 10 day spread. It matched very well to the intervals suggested by Water Use It Wisely.

On the watering time, if you were watering at 1.75 hours before on a weekly schedule, you should be fine by tweaking the pr to drop to the 4.5 hr range (per @JPedrego’s recommendation).