Android app plagued with bugs

I’m a new Rachio customer and utilize both the web interface as well as the Android mobile app. I’m having absolutely no issues with the web app but a number of issues with the Android app. I am using the app on a Nexus 6p running Android 6.0:

1. The Water Use section on the Summary screen does not update. The only way to get it to update that I have found is if I sign out of the app and sign back in.

2. The Reports tab displays info sporadically. It sits there for minutes trying to populate the information, and most of the time it never does. Sometimes it does complete; however, the water used info will be either blank or not reflect up to date info.

3. Not sure if it supposed to show this, but on the Summary page, the status of the device never shows when it is watering. It always just shows “Online”.

4. I’m using Flex Schedules. If a zone has been watered but is not due for another round of watering for a week or two out (not really sure how far out it needs to be), the zone will show up as “Not Scheduled”. If I log into the web interface, it shows, for example, the affected zone as “Will Water after December 12”.

1 Like

@mandms7, thanks for joining the Rachio community. We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing issues with the Android app. Do you know if you’re running the latest version of the app (2.2.7–122)? I’ll do my best to address your concerns below:

Issues 1 & 2: Could you email our support team (support@rachio.com) a few photos of the discrepancies you’re encountering? We’ll try to reproduce these on our end.

Issue 3: The device status should change to “Watering” anytime a zone is activated. Are you running your phone on WiFi or your data plan? I’m curious if your phone isn’t getting the update. An easy test is to pull down on the screen to refresh the app. Could you run a manual run and give this test a try for us?

Issue 4: We were able to recreate this on your account. This is a display issue. Will review with the Android team to see if we can change the forecasted date. Below is what your zones look like on iOS:

@mandms7

Thanks for this, we have our Android development team looking into this.

One question as we try to track these issues down…

Do you get push notifications (in the bar at the top of the screen) when watering starts when the app isn’t on screen (in the background)?

Thanks!

:cheers:

Thanks for your response. I will email support with the screenshots per your request. I am running the latest version of the app.

For issue 3, I’ve tried this via WiFi and mobile data, and the results are the same. I tried manually kicking off a zone, and it still didn’t show “Watering”. Just showed “Online”.

Hi Franz,

Yes, I do get push notifications while the app is in the background.

Mark

Just wanted to give you an update. We’ve identified and fixed the majority of these, we should have an update in the next day or so.

If you PM me your email address that you use to login to Android, I can get you the build early to make sure it resolves all of your issues before we release to the public.

Thanks!

1 Like

Franz,

I’m not sure if you received my earlier update, but I’ll provide an update here again. I did install build 2.2.8–123 with the following results:

1. When I kicked off a manual watering, the Summary page did update and showed the gallons used.

2. The Reports page still shows information inaccurately. The Year-To-Date-Summary is still showing very outdated info. The Daily Water Use does not show info for the current month unless you tap on it for details.

3. When I kicked off the manual watering, the status did show as “Watering”. However, the problem I was experiencing previously was with scheduled waterings, and I don’t have anything currently scheduled with my Flex Schedule.

4. The zones on my Summary page still show “Not Scheduled”, whereas the Web app shows “Will water after December 14th”

Thanks for this, sending this feedback to our Android development team. I’ll let you know when we have more information.

Thanks again!

Franz,

Is there any update on this issue? I guess I’m confused as to why I’m still experiencing a majority of the issues when you said the Android team identified and fixed most of them? Is no other person experiencing this problem on Android? I installed the app on a Nexus 7 device, and it has the exact same behavior for every issue mentioned.

My return window is starting to run down, and I’d hate to have to return the unit due to these issues. Android is my primary platform, and I don’t want to have to keep relying on the web interface for accurate information.

Thank you.

We are still working and validating some of these issues. With Android having many devices and OS, it’s often difficult to reproduce/test/fix on each unique environment.

Hoping to have a new build very soon (possibly today). Will let you know when you can expect an update through the Google Play store.