Amazon Echo Integration

Looks like you guys are going to beat me to it with a more official solution! Rats…thought I was going to be rich. Darn that full time job getting in the way. :wink:
Amazon Announces the Next Alexa Fund Recipients: Musaic and Rachio
Oh well…awesome to see you and Amazon working together! Let me know if you need any help…haha. :smile:

4 Likes

Great news guys!!! Thanks for this integration!

good to know rachio is going to have an Alexa skills officially :smile: is there still a way to gracefully get the access token, like any log in with Rachio program for general users to link their device with Echo?

I never really did find a better way to authenticate other than to copy+paste the API key out of the webapp interface and store it in a DB/app that ASK used to manage users… Rachio is oauth2 so I think there are more options, but that’s the only one I explored.

We do fully support OAuth 2 and have the mechanism for delivery tokens automatically, but at this point have not exposed that functionality (currently we manually give out client_secrets, client_ids).

At some point I’d like to make the process more automated.

:cheers:

thanks franz! any idea when will this automatic token delivery will be available to developers?

No specifics as of yet, just needs to move up the priority list :wink:

1 Like

The Amazon Echo integration is live! Just add the Rachio skill from within the Alexa App. It works with both Gen1 and Gen2 hardware.

Happy to answer any questions or troubleshoot if anyone has problems.

4 Likes

I have it enabled…too bad it’s winter here :frowning: Can’t wait to try it out!

1 Like

Congratulations guys, now all we need to wait for is this snow to melt!

2 Likes

I only want to say “Alexa, water zone x for x mins”. I hate the skills that make you say for example “Alexa, tell Rachio to bla bla bla”.

We need a Rachio plugin for HomeBridge so it will work with Siri until Rachio works with Apple HomeKit.

If you ask them if Rachio Gen 2 will work with HomeKit, they will give you a “run around answer” and WE ALL KNOW Gen 2 probably is. They just don’t want to say.

Hi @hln98,

I’ve talked to Amazon about building a tighter integration (similar to the Ecobee thermostat) so that you don’t have to go through the “Alexa, tell Rachio…” commands. It’s something we really want to do, but we don’t have a timeline for when they’ll have the pieces necessary for us to build it. If you have any feedback for how we can make the current skill easier to use, let us know (unfortunately we can’t remove the “Alexa, tell Rachio” part)!

-Tristan

3 Likes

I don’t think the “tell Rachio” is a huge deal - the skill worked great when I hooked it up - and I didn’t have to use zone numbers - I could just speak their names… worked great!

Matt

3 Likes

Man, I need to buy an Alexa, it’s almost Spring time here :wink:

@mathewbeall Glad it “just works” and thanks for the review of the skill!

1 Like

Agreed, watering by voice with Siri would be more practical than Alexa since you can use Siri outside. A Homebridge plug-in should allow even Gen 1 to work with HomeKit.

I’m using Homebridge now with Liftmaster MyQ and an Insteon hub that don’t natively support HomeKit. Works great. I haven’t dug into writing plug-ins, but it shouldn’t be too difficult if the Rachio API provides the access.

2 Likes

For anyone who is curious I put a quick video together of the Echo working with my Rachio. I didn’t o too in depth and I also show how it works with LIFX bulbs. The Rachio part of the video is more towards the end.

Amazon Echo working with Lifx LED smart bulb and Rachio sprinkler timer
``

Thank you. Hope it helps

1 Like

I just saw the weekly echo email featuring rachio. I think we have come full circle on this post, congrats guys!

1 Like

thank for post