1.7 'EPA' Release Notes

We are excited about building out features for our EPA certification.

The 1.7 release will include the following:

Ability to create custom nozzle types and enter in your own flow rates! This will be a huge help in ‘dialing’ in our water budgeting algorithms and allowing customers to even more fine tune their systems
More drip nozzle types
More soil types
More transparency with zone characteristics. We will be showing nozzle flow values and soil infiltration rates to help you better choose zone characteristics
Weather intelligence (rain delay) re-design. We will start to take a more holistic approach to rain delay and look at your watering needs versus just looking at raw precipitation thresholds.

We have already started building these features out and I will let you know when they are available.

As soon as we have screenshots I will post them.

Sounds awesome.

Can’t wait until this gets approved for MWD/BeWaterWise (Southern California). I purchased a controller on the second batch after a really horrible experience with a Cyber-Rain Controller. I ended up getting 3 Cyber-Rain units, after various returns/exchanges, that each had different kinds of hardware issues where they just would not work at all. Spent hours on support calls over and over again I just got fed up. Only reason I went with them is because they are approved for smart irrigation control rebates here in S. Cali. Because I was going no where with them I did more research and ditched the idea of a rebate and went with the Rachio. This thing is just a joy. Super easy to setup and was ready to go in 15 min. Now the icing on the cake would be to be able to get my rebate. I’m hoping you guys can get approved before the end of the year. Keep up the fantastic work!!

@jimmyzdc‌ Yes, definitely by the end of the year :slight_smile: Thanks for the kind words.

Glad to see all the progress! Like jimmyzdc, I too am waiting for the SoCal approval. The rebate will help me convince my wife to let me pick up the Iro. Thanks for all of your efforts to bring such a cool and meaningful device to the market!

@staze We are looking to submit at the beginning of October, will keep up-to-date on progress and approval. Thanks!

@franz‌ I wanted to ask, will this (1.7) resolve issues being seen on iOS with bad credential errors and buttons becoming inactive/errors when attempting control of zones etc ? I ask as since the 8.02 release of iOS and then for dev, 8.1 and 8.1 beta 2 I have noticed these issues with 1.6.0

Thanks

@Wildcatz_1‌ It should, I know we moved the binary to 64bit and made some other changes in regards to messaging. After it is approved, and you have upgraded, let us know if there are any errors you are still seeing. Thanks!

@franz‌ Thanks and will let you know as always. I did have one more question (actually I placed it in a feature request earlier in the year but wanted to ask here) are there any plans to feature zones with mixed vegetation handling in the app ? For example a zone that has trees and shrubs rather than just 1 kind ? I know this would take some work, calculating needs of both but for those of use with mixed vegetation in zones this would be phenomenal.

Along those lines, could something like the Edyn sensors be utilized with IRO in the future ?

Thanks again

Any idea when 1.7 will be released from Apple?

@jeremyshultz‌ Million dollar question. My guess would be sometime Wednesday - Friday.

It’s in the iPhone App Store. Just updated.

@dbmet‌ Correct! :slight_smile: Let us know if you have feedback, we even added that in the app. Left slider menu.

Franz, I love the custom nozzles option, have MP rotators in some of my areas but was wondering if there could be an addition to allow for GPH/GPM in the calculation rather than just cu in/hr ? I was trying to find this information for my nozzles and can easily see GPH/GPM and although precip per hour is listed I am not sure if this covers what is needed by your app and its calculation. I have included the link (click on specs tab in the page below) to the manufacturers spec on these nozzles in hopes you can point me in the right direction.

Also with drip lines (literally tapped off a line with a 5 GPH emitter on the end, not sure how that should be setup on the app, again any pointers are very much appreciated.

Thanks as always

@Wildcatz_1‌ Great feedback, I will add this to our software backlog, makes a lot of sense. Let me talk with our support team (we have some professionals in this area) and let you know their feedback on settings.

@Wildcatz_1‌ Good afternoon! I just wanted to follow up with you on your questions.

For your MP rotators, do any of them have a color on the nozzle? This will help us determine their model number. Most MP Rotators output around 0.4 in/hour, but if you visit the link you provided (http://www.hunterindustries.com/irrigation-product/nozzles/mp-rotator/) and click on the “specs” tab at the bottom, we should be able to narrow in on the exact output using the color + arc + radius.

For the drip line with a 5 GPH, I’d ballpark it’s output at 8.0 in/hr; please see this article for more information: http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/DIY-Calculating-Precipitation-Rate-s/7942.htm – you would need to convert the GPH to GPM, then multiply by the given constant (96.25). The area, I assumed, in square feet, was 1 but feel free to adjust as needed.

Hope this helps!

@emil Rocks!